Monday, September 28, 2015

"M" Review


     This film overall was very eerie and strange. All the way from the still shots of empty tables, empty air, and emptiness in general, to the awkward look of the actors. There was plenty of silence, which added to the creepiness, and when it wasn’t silent they chose unnerving sounds such as whistling and off-putting day-to-day noises. I was actually very interested by this movie because I had not seen many older films previously, so it interested me quite a bit. I kept an open mind during the whole film because I did not know what to expect.


    There was always a center of interest it seemed in this film, in every shot there was always something that they wanted you to pay attention to right as the scene changed. The way he moves his camera through windows, and to capture silhouettes is an incredible way to show eeriness. There was lots of framing, keeping the focus inside a frame, which gave a sinister feel as well. (Example: High angle shots showing power and low angle shots showing the opposite.) The shots and angles all came together to bring this movie its character. The camera shots added to the dark plot and made everything a lot more ominous.


    I think the artist is possibly trying to portray the Germans and how their mindset was in the time of war. Through the audience at the end, and the panic of the people and how they deal with the situation, it is relatively clear. When a town or group of people live in a state of panic/fear, order and chaos begins, until a higher power can bring order. I think that is the connection they’re trying to make in the movie. The mood of this piece is dark. There are many factors that show this such as : the camera angles, camera shots, shadows, emptiness, silence, and the acting. I think the author of this piece was very successful in conveying their message.


    I enjoyed this film. Although it was relatively slow, I stayed open and focused on taking in all the aspects of it. It put me on edge, which I believe was what the author intended to happen. It got me thinking and making connections to that time period. I hadn't seen many films previously from this decade, so I was very pleasantly surprised. The shots captured my interest, I thought they were very appealing and pleasant to watch, even though the storyline was slow. There were still many things to look at and analyze in those areas that dragged, which is what kept you interested. All in all, I thought it was a good film.



     

No comments:

Post a Comment